Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria, Turkey
A hearty dip often served with pita or an assortment of vegetables. It is very nutritious, delicious, and easy to make.
- Dried Chickpeas, soaked overnight1 cup
- Baking Soda2 teaspoons
- Tahina Sauce (go to recipe)1.5 cups
- Salt1 teaspoon
- Cumin, freshly ground1/4 teaspoon
- Paprika (optional)1/4 teaspoon
- Parsley, freshly chopped (optional)1 tablespoon
- Olive oil1 tablespoon
- Step 1Place the dried chickpeas in water with half of the baking soda and leave to soak overnight.
- Step 2The following day, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place them in a large pot, cover with a few inches of water, and add the remaining baking soda.
- Step 3Bring the chickpeas to a boil and skim off any of the scum that rises.
- Step 4Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pot, and simmer for about 1 hour until they are completely tender.
- Step 5Drain the liquid, combine the chickpeas, tahini sauce, salt, and cumin in a food processor. Blend until ultra-smooth.
- Step 6Before serving, garnish with paprika, parsley, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Fresh chickpeas will always taste better than the canned variety. Although, hummus made from canned chickpeas is still delicious!
- High quality tahini and olive oil will really make the hummus to die for.
- Serving Size:1/2 cup, 150 cal
Sign up for updates