Versatile dipping sauce that balances all the core flavors: sweet, sour, salty, umami and spicy.
- Water, warm1.5 cups
- Sugar1.5 tablespoons
- Garlic, minced3-5 cloves
- Bird's eye chili, finely sliced2 small
- Carrot, julienned (optional)1/2 small
- Limes, freshly squeezed3 whole
- 2 tablespoons
- Step 1Dissolve the sugar into the warm water.
- Step 2Add fresh lime juice and taste the mixture. The mixture should taste like a nice limeade at this point, if not adjust with more lime or sugar.
- Step 3Stir in sliced chilies, minced garlic and carrot.
- Step 4Add the fish sauce in small increments, stirring and tasting frequently until all the flavors are well balanced.
- Step 5Store covered in the refrigertor to allow the flavors to intensify.
- Intensity of fish sauces vary wildly, use this recipe as a guideline and adjust by tasting frequently.
- Good quality fish sauce will really improve the flavors of the final dipping sauce.
- Serving Size:1 tablespoon, 5 cal
Sign up for updates