Not as popular as naan in the west, this Indian bread is a favorite choice for breakfast. Made out of whole wheat, each poori is deep fried to golden brown, crispy and chewy perfection.
- Whole Wheat Flour2 cups
- Salt1 teaspoon
- Cumin, freshly ground1/2 teaspoon
- Vegetable Oil1.5 tablespoons
- Step 1Place all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Step 2Slowly add water a few tablespoons at a time while mixing the ingredients until a stiff dough forms.
- Step 3Lightly oil your hands, rip off a piece of dough (about 2 inches in diameter), and roll it into a ball.
- Step 4Apply a layer of oil on the outside of the ball, and then use a rolling pin to flatten it into slightly thick disks.
- Step 5Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Step 6Once the oil is hot, carefully place one poori into the oil.
- Step 7After the poori rises to the top, use a slotted spoon to gently press it down and spin it in a circular motion.
- Step 8When it has completely puffed up, flip it frequently until both sides are golden brown.
- Step 9Remove the poori from the oil and place it onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Step 10Repeat the process until you use up all of the dough
- Check if your oil is hot enough by dropping in a small piece of dough first, making sure it rises quickly without browning too much.
- Serving Size:1 poori, 107 cal
Sign up for updates